The Harry Potter franchise has made billions over the last decade from 8 movies. But the latest Harry Potter, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two, is the first in the series to make a billion dollars all by itself.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 has pulled in over a billion dollars so far, and it is soon expected to pass up Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides, which is the year’s big money maker so far with $1.03 billion.
The Associated Press reports that the first Harry Potter, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, was the previous record holder in the Potter franchise. The Sorcerer’s Stone brought in $974.8 million worldwide when it was released in 2001.
According to Box Office Mojo, The Deathly Hallows Part Two is only one of nine movies that have grossed more than a billion dollars.
Here are the movies that have made over a billion dollars.
- Avatar – $2,782.3
- Titanic – $1,843.2
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King – $1,119.1
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest – $1,066.2
- Toy Story 3 – $1,063.2
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides – $1,032.8
- Alice in Wonderland (2010) – $1,024.3
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 – $1,008.5
- The Dark Knight – $1,001.9