Police in Connecticut have charged two members of the local high school football team with sexual assault involving two 13-year-old girls.
The AP reported that two 18-year-old football players, Edgar Gonzalez and Joan Toribio, have been charged with second-degree sexual assault. Although details of the case have been sealed from the public, investigators said that the athletes, who lived in the same condominium, were friends with the 13-year-olds, and that the arrests were made two weeks after the alleged assault on February 10.
Both of the teens have pleaded not guilty. Gonzalez is currently being held in detention in New Haven and Toribio has been released on bond. Gonzalez’s lawyer, J. Patten Brown II, told NBC News that the allegations against his client involve consensual, but statutorily illegal, sex.
According to the Register Citizen, dozens of athletes and Torrington High Students have bullied the victim online, calling her a “whore” and chastising her for “snitching” and “ruining the lives” of the alleged.
According to NBC, school administrators are investigating the cyber-bullying of the victim. Kenneth Traub, the chair of the Board of Education, said that school officials were doing everything possible to provide the “safety” needed.
The case closely mirrors that of the highly-publicized Steubenville rape trial, in which two football players were convicted of assaulting a 16-year-old girl after a night of heavy partying. The girl was also threatened online after the verdict.
Earlier this week, 17-year-old Mays and 16-year-old Ma’lik Richmond, both football players on Steubenville High School’s famed Big Red team, were found delinquent after they digitally penetrated the girl repeatedly and took nude and degrading pictures of her, which they then sent to other students. They were sentenced to a minimum of one year in a juvenile detention center, with the possibility of remaining there until they turn 21. Mays was sentenced to an additional year for distributing nude images of a minor, and they were both required to register as juvenile sex offenders.
A day after the verdict was read, two underage girls were arrested for making threats against the victim online. A 16-year-old, who allegedly used Twitter to threaten the girl’s life, was charged with aggravated menacing, and the 15-year-old, who reportedly threatened bodily harm to the victim on Facebook, is charged with one count of menacing.
In a news release that greatly mirrors Taub’s statement, Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said that the threatening of the teenage rape victim would “not be tolerated.”