There may have been other influences at play during the incredible fight between Antonio “Big Foot” Silva and Mark Hunt at UFC Fight Night 33.
Silva failed his post-fight drug test, announced UFC officials on Tuesday. The heavyweight fighter tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone after his brutal battle with Hunt.
“Although [Antonio] Silva is on a medically approved regimen of testosterone replacement therapy, and had been in compliance with therapeutic guidelines on all pre-fight tests performed prior to the event, the results of his test on the day of the event indicated a level of testosterone outside of allowable limit,” UFC officials said in a statement. “Silva has been informed that the elevated testosterone level is a violation of the UFC Fighter Conduct Policy and his Promotional Agreement with Zuffa.”
Silva will receive a nine-month suspension retroactive to the date of the event. Before Big Foot will be allowed to compete again in the UFC, he will have to pass a drug test after the suspension.
Silva will also be forced to forfeit his $50,000 Fight of the Night bonus, which will now go to Hunt.
Silva took to his official Facebook page to respond by saying, ““Months before my fight I looked for the UFC doctor Marcio Tannure in Brazil, so I could start the hormonal replacement ‘TRT,’ which was authorized and recognized by a professional. I started the treatment and 2 weeks before my fight; I did all the exams required by the UFC. My testosterone level continued to be low, so I was recommended by the doctor to increase the dosage. Unfortunately my level increased too much and caused me to suspend. I only did what was recommended by someone trained, who understands about the subject. Therefore, it was not my mistake.”
Silva continued to say that he “never tried doing anything wrong for my fight.”
It’s unfortunate that what some are considering the best fight of the year with their UFC Fight Night 33 main event is now somewhat tainted. Although I believe Silva when he says that it wasn’t his mistake, the blame ultimately lies with the fighter in this situation. Now, Silva fans (like myself) are forced to wait nine months before seeing his return to the octagon.
[Photo Credit: dankos-unlmtd]