Most of what we see on television news is planned out ahead of time. Our news anchors are paid well to look like they are in charge. With the help of teleprompters, the folks who bring us the evening news are almost never at a loss for words. Unfortunately for the news anchors, sometimes there is a dramatic break from the script. Cussing, puking and interference from people at the site of news stories make for some interesting drama. Sometimes it turns out that a dead microphone was very much alive. This creates some unplanned entertainment for television viewers.
For the benefit of my readers, I have compiled 10 of the most entertaining unscripted moments in the history if news broadcasting. There are many, many more such video clips available. If you wanted to make a hobby out of news and talk show bloopers, you could amass a large collection. Following are some of my favorites.
1) A female news anchor cusses on a live mike and later has to apologize.
2) An artist being interviewed about his work pukes during the interview.
3) A female news anchor for Iranian Press TV is left helpless when her teleprompter melts down. To add insult to injury, she has problems with the sound and the video feeds as well, making for a chaotic sports broadcast.
4) A news anchor mistakenly says someone is gay.
5) A reporter swallows a bug and launches into an R rated tirade. (I would have too!)
6) A Fox News reporter makes an embarrassing Freudian slip when talking about a beauty show contestant.
7) A female reporter on a deadline gets harassed while broadcasting from a news location.
8) A reporter knocks down a 12,000 block model of the Leaning Tower Of Pisa.
9) News anchors are supposed to be good friends who always get along. It doesn’t always work out that way.
10) This last one is not a blooper. A Fox News anchor interviewed a spokeswoman for the Westboro Baptist Church. The news reporter gave her a verbal beat down. It doesn’t happen very often, but sometimes you just can’t be “impartial”. This reporter rose to the occasion and gave Shirley Phelps Roper a bit of what she deserved.
There are a lot more bloopers out there. If summer reruns are too boring, bloopers are always good for some laughs.